I DIDN'T KNOW: amantadine poisoning, house

Dig 1: I DIDN'T KNOW: ourwwworld pilot game sample play

Dig 2: The 7 Most Retarded Ways Celebrities Have Tried to Go Green


I DIDN'T KNOW what amantadine was before today. Google is showing related searches for amantadine poisoning, huntington, huntington's disease, house, wilson's disease. I couldn't find anything at digg. So I decided to look up amantadine using goodsearch .

Aha! Goodsearch gives me the reason why people are looking for this today. It seems related to a Fox television show called House. But I still don't know what amantadine and amantadine poisoning mean, so I decide to try out the wikipedia links.

Not only did I find it mentioned in on wikipedia pages devoted to the House TV show, but it also appears on Wikipedia:WikiProject Pharmacology/List of drugs. Wouldn't you know, there is also an amantadine page at wiki, where I found the following information.

"amantadine is the organic compound known formally as 1-aminoadamantane. ... This compound is sold under the name "Symmetrel," for use both as an antiviral and an antiparkinsonian drug."

"It was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in October 1966 as a prophylactic agent against Asian influenza and eventually received approval for the treatment of Influenzavirus A[1][2][3][4] in adults. In 1969 the drug was also discovered by accident to help reduce symptoms of Parkinson's disease ...."

Related to amantadine poisoning, the wikipedia page goes on to say

"Amantadine has been associated with several central nervous system side effects, likely due to amantadine's dopaminergic and adrenergic activity, and to a lesser extent, its activity as an anticholinergic."

my non-chemists brain switches off...at that point, until I see:

"Cases of suicidal ideation in patients treated with amantadine have been described,[6] although this psychiatric adverse event is relatively rare. Nonetheless, clinical surveillance of suicidal ideation in patients on amantadine is warranted at the clinician's discretion, as amantadine has been implicated as the major fatal (biologically toxic) factor in completed patient suicides.[7

Voila! Maybe that's related to whatever it was that happened on House. I didn't know and still don't know what that show is about. It doesn't air in my part of the wwworld.